UnicodeEncodeError - a bit out of my element...

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 11:55:19 EDT 2007

On Apr 11, 10:16 am, "erikcw" <erikwickst... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to parse an email message, but am running into this
> exception.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "wa.py", line 336, in ?
>     main()
>   File "wa.py", line 332, in main
>     print out['msg']
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xd6' in
> position 238: ordinal not in range(128)
>
> How can I decode/encode this string to print to stdout and send again
> in another email?  Do I have to know what language the email is in?
>
> Thanks!
> Erik

You'll need to do some encoding/decoding work. Check out the following
links on unicode:

http://www.reportlab.com/i18n/python_unicode_tutorial.html
http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/unicode
http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/unicode/python.html

And here's a few links on parsing:

http://docs.python.org/api/arg-parsing.html
http://www.diveintopython.org/xml_processing/unicode.html

Probably more information than you need, but it should help answer
your question (and maybe any future questions about Unicode).

Mike