Using the Python interpreter

tkpmep at hotmail.com tkpmep at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:32:36 EDT 2007

Instead of starting IDLE as I normally do, I started the Python
interpreter and tried to run a program. I got a Python prompt (>>>),
and then tried unsuccessfully to run a Python script named Script1.py
that runs perfectly well in IDLE. Here's what I did:

>>>Script1.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name Script1 is not defined

>>>python Script1.py
  File "<stdin>", line 1
   python Script1.py
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I can load it (and have it execute) by typing

>>>import Script1
0
1
2
3
4

and if I edit it, I can then execute it by reloading it

>>>import Script1
0
1
2
3
4
<module 'Script1' from 'Script1.pyc'>

But this seems contrived - is there no way to repeatedly run Script1
from the interpreter without reloading it?

Thomas Philips