I18n issue with optik

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Mon Apr 2 11:05:25 EDT 2007

* Steven Bethard (Sun, 01 Apr 2007 10:21:40 -0600)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> I'm not very experienced with internationalization, but if you change::
>
>      gettext.install('test')
>
> to::
>
>      gettext.install('test', unicode=True)
>
> what happens?

Actually, this is the solution.

But there's one more problem: the solution only works when the
Terminal encoding is not US-ASCII. Unfortunately (almost) all
terminals I tried are set to US-ASCII (rxvt under Cygwin, Console[1]
running bash, Poderosa[2] running bash). Only the Windows Console is
CP852 and this works.

I got the tip to set a different encoding by
sys.stdout = codecs.EncodedFile(sys.stdout, 'utf-8')

but unfortunately this does not change the encoding of any Terminal.
So my question is: how can I set a different encoding to sys.stdout
(or why can I set it without any error but nothing changes?)

Thorsten

[1] http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=43764
[2] http://en.poderosa.org/present/about_poderosa.html