Generic logic/conditional class or library for classification of data

Basilisk96 basilisk96 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 23:43:33 EDT 2007

Thanks for the help, guys.
Dictionaries to the rescue!

Steven, it's certainly true that runtime creation of attributes does
not fit well here. At some point, an application needs to come out of
generics and deal with logic that is specific to the problem. The
example I gave was classification of books, which is relatively easy
to understand. The particular app I'm working with deals with
specialty piping valves, where the list of rules grows complicated
fairly quickly.

So, having said that "attributes are not known at design time", it
seems that dictionaries are best for the generic core functionality:
it's easy to iterate over arbitrary "key, value" pairs without
hiccups. I can even reference a custom function by a key, and call it
during the iteration to do what's necessary. The input/output
dictionaries would dictate that behavior, so that would be the
implementation-specific stuff. Easy enough, and the core functionality
remains generic enough for re-use.

Michael, I looked at the sample snippets at that link, and I'll have
to try it out. Thanks!