Python CGI and Browser timeout

skulka3 at gmail.com skulka3 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:48:29 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am creating a simple cgi script which needs to retrieve and process
a huge number of records from the database (more than 11,000) and
write the results to a file on disk  and display some results when
processing is complete.

However, nothing needs to be displayed while the processing is on. I
was facing browser timeout issue due to the time it takes to process
these records.

In order to work around this problem, I started printing empty strings
(i.e. print "") so that the browser does not timeout.

Is there a better solution to avoid browser timeouts?

Thanks,