moving multiple directories

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Mon Apr 16 14:36:27 EDT 2007

DataSmash wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to organize thousands of directories full of files.
> I want to move these directories into other subdirectories.
> For example, all the directories that start with 01, move to
> a directory named "one", all directories that start with 02, move
> to a directory name "two", and so on....
>
> I can't seem to find any easy way to do this.
> Looks like shutil.move only lets you move if the subdirectory DOES
> NOT exist, so after the first directory moves, the script blows up on
> the second move.
> I guess you could use shutil.copy or shutil.copytree but then you have
> delete as well.  Much longer process when you have hundreds of
> gigabytes of data.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> R.D.

Use win32.moveFile method instead.  This links directly to the Windows
MoveFile method that just moves the directory entries around.

>From Win32 Documentation:

win32api.MoveFile
MoveFile(srcName, destName)

Renames a file, or a directory (including its children).

Parameters

srcName : string

The name of the source file.

destName : string

The name of the destination file.

Comments
This method can not move files across volumes.

-Larry