what python technology for my app?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Fri Apr 27 07:19:04 EDT 2007

Chris a écrit :
> I have an database containing lots of numerical data. I want to write a
> browser based interface that will allow selection of various key
> parameters and yield tables, plots and/or printouts of the data
> according to the selections. Ultimately I want this to run on an
> intranet so that others can get access via their browsers.
>
> The application is for in-house use only and not likely to have more
> than a few users at any one time. I've managed to hack out enough
> understanding of sql and sqlAlchemy over the last couple of days to
> create and access an sqlite3 based database for my data. This seems to
> suit my purposes for now. Now for a front end and some simple
> distribution over a network.
>
> I have written some small Wxpython & matplotlib apps for data analysis
> and display but I'm not sure how these would work in a browser based
> world, or even if they are appropriate.

wxPython being a GUI toolkit, it's of course not really appropriate for
a web-based solution (and yes, this is an understatement).

I don't have any experience with matplotlib, but according to the
project's FAQ, this shouldn't be a problem:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq.html#BATCHMODE

> Any advice on what technologies I should be looking at for this? Python
> based naturally, and hopefully simple and lightweight. I'm not a
> programmer by trade and that's not what I really get paid for but I've
> learned to love python and its myriad of modules for all the data
> analysis work I need to do. If I can throw something moderately
> functional together in a week or two (along with all the learning that
> entails)

If you don't have any experience with web programming, it might take a
bit more time.

> I'll be happy.

Pylons (http://pylonshq.com) and turbogears are two great web
frameworks. Both support SQLAlchemy. My own favourite is Pylons, but you
should try both and choose the one that better fits your brain.

> btw - Platform needs to be windows because that's what on my desk.

Python is mostly platform independant.

HTH