Python Feature Request: Allow changing base of member indices to 1

Javier Bezos see_below_no_spam at yahoo.es
Mon Apr 16 04:15:19 EDT 2007

Paddy,

>> Dijkstra's argument is obsolete, as it is based on
>> how array length was computed many years ago -- if
>> we have an array a = b..e, then the lenght of a
>> is e-b (half open range). Good at low level
>> programming.
>>
>> But a quarter of a century after we know concepts
>> are much better than low level programming and
>> explicit computations -- if we have an array
>> a = b..e, then the length of a should be a.length()
>> (or a.length(b,e)), and it is independent of

> Hi Javier,
> You seem to have missed out array *indexing*
> in your argument, or is array indexing obsolete?

Of course, it isn't, but it has evolved over the
past 25 years. When Djikstra wrote that, many
people (including me) was using a Spectrum---
Now we have OO programming to deal with concepts
and a more generic programming. So, to me it's
clear his _argument_ is very outdated and cannot
be applied directly and withot reservations to
modern languages like Python.

Javier