Future Python Gui?

bcwhite at pobox.com bcwhite at pobox.com
Wed Apr 18 11:24:08 EDT 2007

> I'd say that the best bet is to learn swig and similar
> bridging, expanding, and embedding mechanisms.
> Python GUI programming is likely to involve either
> python hooking into frameworks like Cocoa, Qt, or
> wxWidgets, python embedded in frameworks
> like Java or .NET, or flavors of python used
> as domain-specific languages in applications such as
> emacs, vim, and OpenOffice.org.

If this were just a tool for me, it wouldn't matter.  My concern is
distribution.  If anybody who wants to run my software then they also
have to go through all the trouble to install these extensions, none
of which seem to have decent instructions.  I'm an old-time hack and I
have trouble getting them to work.  A simple user won't have a chance!

If Python doesn't declare an official Gui system, then it'll be
fragmented, inconsistent, and unsupportable.

I wouldn't mind using just Tkinter, despite it's primative look,
except that it doesn't support more advanced widgets like "notebook".

-- Brian