VB6 To Python

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Apr 17 08:18:54 EDT 2007

Thanks for the feedback to this thread.

I tried the conversion but unfortunately it did not translate from VB to
Python. It wrapped the VB using a lib of python calls.  So the language
is not pure python. From what I see.

So a full rewrite it is.

-----Original Message-----
From: python-list-bounces+dsampson=nrcan.gc.ca at python.org
[mailto:python-list-bounces+dsampson=nrcan.gc.ca at python.org] On Behalf
Of Steve Holden
Sent: April 13, 2007 08:56
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: VB6 To Python

Michael Bentley wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Sampson, David wrote:
>
>> Any experience or insight would be great.
>
> It has been my experience that when migrating to a dissimilar system,
> avoiding the rewrite is a mistake.  And futile.

This is good advice.

Since your original project had such a clean separation between GUI code
and the rest of the logic, however, you might want to investigate the
methods discussed in Robinson and Hammond's "Programming Win32 in
Python", where they explain how Python logic can make use of COM
interfaces to interact with VB (or other COM) GUIs.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden