Mastering Python (OT)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 2 10:17:36 EDT 2007

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
> "Steve Holden" <ste..e at ho....eb.com>  wrote:
>

>> Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
>
>>> It comes out something like "Chum-lee", with the ch like chicken...
>>>
>>> (that's what I have heard -  but who knows - It may have been
>>> a regional dialect, a case of the blind leading the blind, or
>>> someone pulling the piss..)
>>>
>> You have been correctly informed. It's one of the least intuitive names
>> in the English language.
>
> Oh No! - don't tell me there is worse - this is already enough to drive
> a saint to drink!
>
> I will have to move to "Hants"...

Speaking of which, here's a limerick To read it you need to know not
only that Hampshire is colloquially know as Hants, but also that
Salisbury's ancient Roman name is Sarum.

There once was a young man of Salisbury
Whose manners were most halisbury-scalisbury
He visited Hampshire
Without any pampshire
Till somebody told him to walisbury.

try-running-a-spell-checker-on-that-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden