block scope?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sat Apr 7 23:32:02 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin wrote:
> aleax at mac.com (Alex Martelli) writes:

> I have no opinion of this, locals() has always seemed like a crazy
> part of the language to me and I never use it.  I'd be happy to see it
> gone since it makes compiling a lot easier.

   I think of that, from a compiler perspective, as one of the features
that, if used, means you have to switch to a more inefficient representation.

   I encourage the hard-code optimizing compiler people to keep plugging
away on Python.  It's a convenient way to program, but the implementations
are slower than they should be a decade into the language's life cycle.

					John Nagle