Tkinter <<Modified>> and bindtags ordering

bytecolor bytecolor at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 04:37:31 EDT 2007

On Apr 3, 3:16 am, "Rob Wolfe" <r... at smsnet.pl> wrote:
> What about instead of:
>
> > t.bind('<<Modified>>', text_changed)
>
> this event:
>
>    t.bind('<KeyRelease>', text_changed)
>
> > root.mainloop()
>
> --
> HTH,
> Rob

Hey Rob,
I actually started with that event, until I came across the modified
event. I'm working on syntax highlighting. So I need any text change.
Also, colorizing on a key release is annoyingly noticeable to the
user. I tried it :)

I'm sure there are going to be other perils along the way as this is
my first attempt at syntax highlighing. I can load a file and the
highlighting works very well. I used an elaborate regex with named
groups and re.finditer(). I either use the names directly as edit
tags, or they help me look up other tags in a dict. It's quite fast.

screenshot with random (ugly) colors:
http://bytecolor.homelinux.org/~bytecolor/vapt_colorizing.png

That part wasn't bad at all. Now I need to code the text change
logistics but this bindtags ordering has got me perplexed.

--
bytecolor