OT: Question about RGB color method

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Tue Apr 10 15:51:16 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 15:32 -0400, John Salerno wrote:
> Sorry for this non-Python question, but since it's computer related I
> know you guys will have an answer, and I don't really know where else to
> ask. Mainly I'm just curious anyway.
>
> I'm wondering, why do computers use a RGB color scheme instead of the
> primary colors? Is there something you can't do with yellow? It seems
> weird that RGB can be combined to make all colors, when that's supposed
> to be the job of the primary colors. I'm sure there some technical
> computer-related reason that it had to be this way.

You'll find your answer in great detail at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_colors. Television sets and
computer screens use the additive color system because they emit light
rather than reflect light. Yellow is a subtractive primary color. The
additive primary colors are red, green, and blue.

-Carsten