Can __init__ not return an object?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sat Apr 21 22:36:42 EDT 2007

When I go to create an object I want to be able to decide whether the
object is valid or not in __init__, and if not, I want the constructor to
return something other than an object, (like maybe None). I seem to be
having problems. At the end of __init__ I say (something like)

 	if self.something < minvalue:
 	    del self
 	    return None

and it doesn't work. I first tried just the return None, then I got crafty
and tried the del self. Is what I'm trying to do possible in the
constructor or do I have to check after I return? Or would raising an
exception in the constructor be appropriate?

Am I even being clear?

steveo at syslang.net