Would You Write Python Articles or Screencasts for Money?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Apr 25 07:20:14 EDT 2007

On 2007-04-25, Anton Vredegoor <anton.vredegoor at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So in order to avoid a suspicion of a conflict of interest you want to
>>> turn the whole thing into private property of the PSF?
>>>
>>> That is  the most ridiculous suggestion I have ever
>>
>> I kind of understand why they would want to do this. If you have
>> no limitations on who may vote, such a contest can easily turn
>> into a contest of who can mobilize the biggest clan of supporters.
>
> Sure, any democratic process can be derailed by a coordinated effort of
> people with a different mentality. To prevent such things by killing the
> democratic process oneself right at the beginning of a project is a
> peculiar way of avoiding this risk.

As far as I understood the idea was to reward excellence. The process
to achieve this can be democratic, but in that case it is just a means
to an end. The democratic process was not an end itself.

So talking about this as if the democratic process itself was somehow
the goal seems to miss what it is about.

--
Antoon Pardon