Dict Copy & Compare

Robert Rawlins - Think Blue robert.rawlins at thinkbluemedia.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 04:26:25 EDT 2007

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for a little advice on dicts, firstly I need to learn how to
copy a dict, I suppose I could just something like.

Self.newdict = self.olddict

But I fear that this only creates a reference rather than an actual copy,
this means that as soon as I clear out the old one, the new one will
effectively be empty. What's the best way to ACTUALY copy a dict into a new
variable?

Next up I'm looking to compare two different dictionaries, then loop through
the unique results that are in each and print them out. Is there a more
efficient way of doing this other than a loop with an if/else statement?

For a in self.dict1:

                If a not in self.dict2:

                                Print 'Found %s' % (a)

For b in self.dict2:

                If b not in self.dict1:

                                Print 'Found %s'  % (b)

That would firstly loop through the first dict and output any of its unique
values, it then loops through the second dict and output any of its unique
values, is this the best way of doing this? Or is there something more
efficient?

Thanks,

Rob Rawlins