tuples, index method, Python's design

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 11:57:16 EDT 2007

On 10 Apr, 17:29, Steve Holden <s... at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> You can call something non-controversial when it generates a thread like
> this? :-) It's really a storm in a teacup. The acid test would be to
> generate a patch that added the method and then see if you could get a
> committer to commit it. All else (including my own contributions) is
> mere hot air.

The patch is already submitted:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1696444&group_id=5470&atid=305470

I won't miss tuple.index very often if it never gets in, but it's
always enlightening/entertaining to see the rationales given for the
rejection of this and other features, in contrast to things like "y if
x else z" which just seem to mysteriously acquire momentum and then
power their way in regardless.

Paul