Python Feature Request: (?) Group all file-directory-related stdlib functions in one place

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Apr 14 06:50:52 EDT 2007

> Currently file-directory-related functionality in the Python standard
> library is scattered among various modules such as shutil, os,
> dircache etc. So I request that the functions be gathered and
> consolidated at one place. Some may need renaming to avoid conflicts
> or for clarification.

I think similar consolidations of the STD lib are positive, they are
scheduled for Python V.3.0-3.1:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3001/
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3108/
If you submit this to python-dev I suggest you to work as much as
possible: finding a good organization, writing justifications all for
all the changes etc. You can also remember that lot of people are
using some nonstandard modules, like the path one, that may be fit for
the STD library, once cleaned up a bit, so you have to take into
accout that too.

Bye,
bearophile