Tutorial creates confusion about slices

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Tue Apr 24 09:25:44 EDT 2007

On 2007-04-24, Michael Hoffman <cam.ac.uk at mh391.invalid> wrote:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>>> Submit a patch if you want it changed.  I'm sure your valuable
>>> insights will greatly improve the quality of the python documentation.
>>
>> Fat chance, if they reason like you.
>
> I don't think that Michael Bentley is the documents maintainer. Are you
> trying to pick a fight with him or improve the docs?

I try not to pick fights. But I don't try very hard to avoid them
either.

> Personally, I do not think of slices in the way this tutorial suggests,
> but I think taking it out without replacement would not help. If you
> want to add a more accurate replacement, I think that would be better
> received than just saying that the section should be removed. Even more
> so if you provide it in the form of a patch.

Well people could suggest that instead of just removing the section
there should be a replacement and then we could discuss how such
a replacement should look like. I just started with what I see as
a problem and one possible fix. Now I guess that if people would
agree that there is problem but don't agree with my fix they would
comment on my fix. Instead most reactions seem to suggest there is
not really a problem. Now I am not going to waste my time writing
a patch for something that doesn't seem to be considered a problem.

--
Antoon Pardon