Welch essential for learning Tkinter well?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Fri Apr 6 13:36:42 EDT 2007

In article <46151818.6080302 at codebykevin.com>,
 Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

> James Stroud wrote:
> >This begs the
> > question, is anyone truly an expert in Tkinter?
>
> Frederick Lundh is, if anyone is.
>
> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm (outdated)
> http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/ (new but incomplete)

I agree that this is an excellent resource.

I find Welch's book and the on-line tcl/tk help very helpful for Tkinter
programming--especially some of the more obscure details. But to use
either of these resources comfortably you must learn the basics of
Tkinter first (including understanding the simple mapping between
Tkinter and Tcl/Tk).

For learning the basics of Tkinter I suggest the links that Kevin listed
above and/or Alex Martelli's "Python in a Nutshell" (an excellent
reference in any case). Grayson's book is another reasonable alternative
(and includes enough reference material to keep you from having to refer
to the tcl/tk documentation very often).

-- Russell