Dedicated CPU core for Python?

Louise Hoffman louise.hoffman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:10:13 EDT 2007

> Are you talking about CPU affinity
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processor_affinity) or an actual CPU that can
> directory execute Python byte code?  If the former, CPython only uses one
> CPU core right now because it's threads are all internal, and do not spawn
> system threads (IIRC).  If the latter, I don't think that would work very
> well because then, e.g., C extensions wouldn't work very well as they could
> not be executed by a Python Byte-code CPU.

Have I understood CPU affinity correct, that it is similar to SMP/
NUMA, only that I can force a process/thread to a cpu core?

In regards to forcing the Python virtual machine (thanks Michael for
the explanation=) ), is the problem that the "OS core" and the "VM
core" would need to copy each others cache/exchange data too often?

Hugs,
Louise