Python Feature Request: Explicit variable declarations

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Thu Apr 19 13:58:52 EDT 2007

On 14 Apr 2007 03:21:18 -0700, samjnaa at gmail.com <samjnaa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to have something like the "option explicit" statement in
> Visual Basic which turns on C-like checking for declaration of
> variables. This is highly helpful for people who are coming from C/C+
> +, for people who are learning programming using Python,

As a C and C++ programmer (not a C/C++ programmer), I have to say that
it doesn't bother me much. An optional feature like this would just
annoy me if I encountered code using it.

> where the user has inadvertantly typed "g" before "n" and will later
> wonder why his application is not working as expected.

Well, he won't *wonder* -- Python will be rather explicit about it.
"Later" is the key word here -- this bug may lay around waiting for
ten years before someone triggers it.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!