How to initialize a table of months.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun Apr 15 21:30:34 EDT 2007

I'm reading a logfile with a timestamp at the begging of each line, e.g.,

Mar 29 08:29:00

I want to call datetime.datetim() whose arg2 is a number between 1-12 so I
have to convert the month to an integer.
I wrote this, but I have a sneaky suspicion there's a better way to do it.

mons = {'Jan':1, 'Feb':2, 'Mar':3, 'Apr':4, 'May':5, 'Jun':6,
         'Jul':7, 'Aug':8, 'Sep':9, 'Oct':10, 'Nov':11, 'Dec':12 }

def mon2int( mon ):
     global mons
     return mons[mon]

Is there a generator expression or a list comprehension thingy that would
be *betterer*? (I realize it's probably not that important but I find lots
of value in learning all the idioms.)

TIA

steveo at syslang.net