Question about using urllib2 to load a url

Kushal Kumaran kushal.kumaran at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 00:31:59 EDT 2007

On Apr 2, 2:52 am, "ken" <ken.carl... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have the following code to load a url.
> My question is what if I try to load an invalide url
> ("http://www.heise.de/"), will I get an IOException? or it will wait
> forever?

Depends on why the URL is invalid.  If the URL refers to a non-
existent domain, a DNS request will result in error and you will get
an "urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not
known')>".  If the name resolves but the host is not reachable, the
connect code will timeout (eventually) and result in an
"urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (113, 'No route to host')>".  If the
host exists but does not have a web server running, you will get an
"urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (111, 'Connection refused')>".  If a
webserver is running but the requested page does not exist, you will
get an "urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found".

The URL you gave above does not meet any of these conditions, so
results in a valid handle to read from.

If, at any time, an error response fails to reach your machine, the
code will have to wait for a timeout.  It should not have to wait
forever.

--
Kushal