DBAPI Loss DB Connection

Greg Copeland gtcopeland at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:30:05 EDT 2007

According to the SQLAlchemy list, the DBAPI specification does not
define a standard error reporting mechanism which would allow for
generic detection of loss of database connection without DB specific
exception handling.  For me, this is a requisite for robust error
handling.  Not to mention, this seeminly defeats the purpose of using
DBAPI since one can not have a robust DB application without tethering
it to a specific DBAPI DB implementation; which seemingly defeates the
purpose of using a DBAPI implementation.

Assuming what I've been told is correct, what is the proper method to
request a revision to the DBAPI specification to specifically address
loss of DB connection and error handling in this regard?

Greg