is laziness a programer's virtue?

John Thingstad john.thingstad at chello.no
Sun Apr 15 16:43:09 EDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:25:19 +0200, Xah Lee <xah at xahlee.org> wrote:

> Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
>
> Xah Lee, 20021124
>
> In the unix community there's quite a large confusion and wishful
> thinking about the word laziness. In this post, i'd like to make some
> clarifications.
>
> American Heritage Dictionary third edition defines laziness as:
> “Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.”

In this context I think you can safely take it to mean:
Don't work hard, work smart.

Avoid repetitious work. If somthing seems to elaborate find a more
efficient way.

In a course I took on verifiable programming I found working with Hoare
logic
extremely tedious. So I started using rewriting loops as recursive
procedures and
using induction instead. It took about a quarter of the time as the
invariant of a loop
fell out rather naturally this way. I failed the course, but when I took
the course
over again a year later I noticed that the book had been rewritten and now
half the book
was dedicated to Generator Induction. (Seems the professor noticed I
failed in a interesting
way and figured out it was not so stupid after all.) Naturally I had no
problems the second time ;)

This is just one example but it should convey the idea.