Python un-plugging the Interpreter

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Thu Apr 19 17:07:09 EDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:56:25 -0600, S.Mohideen <moin at blackhole.labs.rootshell.ws> wrote:
> Hi All,
>          I was thinking about the feasbility of adjusting Python as a
> compiled language. Being said that I feel these are the following advantages
> of doing so --
>  1) Using the powerful easy-to -use feature of Python programming language
> constructs.

We already do.

>  2) Making the program to run at par with the compiled version of C/C++
> program- this is the main benefit which can be derived out of this.

Depends on what you mean by 'at par'. In the general case, that code
would have to basically work like the Python interpreter. Too much is
happening at runtime and it cannot be determined at compile time.

>  3) Highly re-use existing Python code for High performance application.

A reformulation of (2).

>  4) Acheive true parallelism and performance by getting rid of the
> middle-man Interpreter and GIL.

Is the GIL really an artifact of the interpreter?

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!