[offtopic?] problem with UDP broadcast on Windows XP

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 10 09:09:12 EDT 2007

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
>  "Irmen de Jong" <i..n.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
>>
>>> Try running the service impersonating another user (not LOCAL_SERVICE,
>>> the default).
>>> You can change that from the service control panel.
>> Alas, that didn't change anything.
>> I made it run as a user account that has admin privileges even,
>> and it still doesn't respond to the broadcasts.  :-(
>>

> I am not sure if this is at all relevant - but I seem to recall seeing
> something once that had a list of socket numbers, splitting them
> between UDP & TCP - can the socket actually rx UDP?

That's probably a red herring, Hendrik. Both UDP and TCP define ports
from 1 through 65535, and so a port number doesn't "belong" to one
protocol or the other.

It's most likely, I suspect without knowing to much about it, that the
service is stalling because of a failure to "pump" Windows messages.
Irmen, are you taking any action in your service to ignore Windows
messages that your service process receives?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden