python, wxpython and Mac OS X

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 22:46:43 EDT 2007

Why 2.4.4 instead of the official 2.5 binary from www.python.org?

  http://www.python.org/download/

> $python
> Python 2.4.4 (#1, Oct 18 2006, 10:34:39)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341)] on darwin
>
> However, now when I try to run my hello world wxPython script in
> Terminal, I get the error message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "wxPythonTest.py", line 1, in ?
>     import wx
> ImportError: No module named wx
>
> Does that mean I need to install a newer version of wxPython?

The packages that are installed (or you might install) for Python 2.3 are
entirely separate from those that you would install for Python 2.4. It's not
that you need a newer version of wxPython; it's that you need to install one for
Python 2.4 period.

> Also, what wxPython download should I install?

For 2.4:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-osx-unicode-2.8.3.0-universal10.4-py2.4.dmg

For 2.5:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-osx-unicode-2.8.3.0-universal10.4-py2.5.dmg