Socket exceptions aren't in the standard exception hierarchy

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 23 17:52:22 EDT 2007

John Nagle wrote:
[socket.error bug report]

>> Where did you get this information? If true it would certainly need to
>> be logged as a bug, but under Windows on 2,4 I see
>>
>>  >>> issubclass(socket.gaierror, Exception)
>> True
>>  >>>

>> and the same under Cygwin 2.5. I am presuming most other users will see
>> the same thing.
>>
>> regards
>>  Steve
>
>      Ah.  "socket.error" is a subclass of "Exception", but not
> of "StandardError".
>
> 	 issubclass(socket.error,StandardError)
>
> is False.

Right, so this *is* a big, as long as Brett Cannon's upcoming (further)
reorganization of the standard exception hierarchy doesn't stamp on it.
It probably *was* overlooked in the reorganization of the hierarchy, and
this implies there may be other extensions that also make the same error.

It should be logged as a bug in the tracker - the fix is probably pretty
simple, but it'll need some consideration of the forward compatibility
considerations.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden