IPython 0.8.0 is out

Paddy paddy3118 at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:37:36 EDT 2007

On Apr 11, 6:18 am, Fernando Perez <fperez.... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The IPython team is happy to release version 0.8.0, with a lot of new
> enhancements, as well as many bug fixes.
>
> We hope you all enjoy it, and please report any problems as usual.
>
> WHAT is IPython?
> ----------------
>
> 1. An interactive shell superior to Python's default. IPython has many
> features for object introspection, system shell access, and its own special
> command system for adding functionality when working interactively.
>
> 2. An embeddable, ready to use interpreter for your own programs. IPython
> can
> be started with a single call from inside another program, providing access
> the current namespace.
>
> 3. A flexible framework which can be used as the base environment for other
> systems with Python as the underlying language.
>
> 4. A shell for interactive usage of threaded graphical toolkits. IPython has
> support for interactive, non-blocking control of GTK, Qt and WX applications
> via special threading flags. The normal Python shell can only do this for
> Tkinter applications.
>
> Where to get it
> ---------------
>
> IPython's homepage is at:
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org
>
> and downloads are at:
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/dist
>
> We've provided:
>
>       - Source download (.tar.gz)
>       - A Python Egg (http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs).
>       - A python 2.4 RPM.
>       - A native win32 installer.
>
> The egg is 'light', as it doesn't include documentation and other ancillary
> data.  If you want a full ipython installation, use the source tarball or
> your
> distribution's favorite system.
>
> We note that IPython is now officially part of most major Linux and BSD
> distributions, so packages for this version should be coming soon, as the
> respective maintainers have the time to follow their packaging procedures.
> Many thanks to the distribution packagers for their work, which helps users
> get
> IPython more conveniently.
>
> Thanks to all the users who contributed bug reports, ideas and especially
> patches.  The ChangeLog has hopefully detailed acknowledgements, but please
> let
> us know if we've accidentally ommitted giving you due credit.
>
> Many thanks to Enthought for their continued hosting support for IPython.
>
> Release notes
> -------------
>
> As always, the full ChangeLog is athttp://ipython.scipy.org/ChangeLog.  The
> highlights of this release follow.  Also see the "What's New" page at
>
>    http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/WhatsNew
>
>  * Support for KeyboardInterrupt (Ctrl-C) when running in multithreaded mode
>    with GUI support.  This had been a long-requested feature that we had
> never
> [...]

Just made a connection between the IPipe feature and Windows
PowerShell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerShell
I can't find the link to the orignial PowerShell article but I do
remember them talking about sending objects rather than text through
pipes (as Unix does); and that their was a default printing format for
objects coming out of a pipeline.