Tutorial creates confusion about slices

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Apr 26 07:59:06 EDT 2007

Antoon Pardon wrote:
> On 2007-04-25, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Most people reading a tutorial are aware that they are being given the
>> knowledge they need to put the subject matter to immediate use, and that
>> there may well be refinements that are glossed over or covered in detail
>> later or elsewhere.
>
> I agree with that.
>
> However there is a difference between information that will help you
> on the way now that will be refined later and information that will
> help you on the way now and will be contradicted later.
>
> I also understand that the line between the two is rather fuzzy.
>
> In my opinion the text in the tutorial as it stands now, is more
> of the latter than of the former type and that is why I would
> prefer a change.

I had already deduced that from your arguments so far in this thread. Do
you *have* to make every trivial conclusion explicit?

Warning: this is an explicit test to see whether you can sit on your
hands and refrain from replying. It's hard to find a thread where you
don't make the last comment on every branch you get involved in.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden