Would You Write Python Articles or Screencasts for Money?

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Tue Apr 24 10:56:50 EDT 2007

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> used to provide incentives to improve the available information about
> Python, and possibly even the software that's available in Python. I
> have undertaken to make a proposal to the PSF Board for an incentive
> scheme. So please let me have your ideas.

My main suggestion here is to declare PSF members to be "not eligible"
for these cash awards (although it would be perfectly fine to award
ourselves nice pieces of parchment, or PSF hats or other schwag, in
recognition of such good work, I'd suggest giving cash awards only to
non-members).  When cash is involved, it's important to avoid even the
slightest hint of a suggestion of a suspicion of a conflict of interest;
that, I guess, is why firms that run contests with cash prizes always
declare employees and their families "not eligible", and why I think the
PSF should do likewise in this case.

Alex