pydoc and imported modules

schpok at gmail.com schpok at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:54:13 EDT 2007

When I "from foo import *" in my __init__.py, sometimes module foo's
docs will be expanded in the pydocs. It seems to depend in what
language foo was implemented.

For example, if you "from math import *" in your __init__.py, you will
see math's members will appear in the resulting pydocs, as though it's
part of your module. The behavior is consistent across the C modules I
am writing.

However, if you "from foo import *" in your __init__.py, and foo is a
python file (not a module written in C), foo's members don't appear in
the resulting pydocs. This also seems to occur in some boost::python
bindings.

What is expected behavior? How do ensure foo's docs do or don't appear
in help, regardless of their implementation language?

Thanks,
Schpok