converting currency using locals

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Apr 18 20:01:27 EDT 2007

En Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:08:24 -0300, Grzegorz Ślusarek <gregtech at wp.pl>
escribió:

> Hi all. I have situation that I have value that holds price and I must
> show
> this price using national specification(e.g. thousands_sep). Any idea how
> this can be done under python 2.4.4? I saw that function format from
> module
> locals can format value with national specification, but this could be
> done
> only in python 2.5. Any solution for 2.4?
> example what I want achieve:
> value 24500.50
> Hungarian Price 24 500.50
> Romaniam Price 24.500.50
> Thanks for any help
> Gregor

Python 2.4.4 can handle thousands separator and grouping but not
*specific* settings for monetary values. That is, when
thousands_sep==mon_thousands_sep and grouping==mon_grouping and
decimal_point==mon_decimal_point the following code works also for
monetary values:
(I've checked the 'hu' and 'ro' locales on my system and both have that
property)

Python 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
py> import locale
py> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
'Spanish_Argentina.1252'
py> help(locale.format)
Help on function format in module locale:

format(f, val, grouping=0)
     Formats a value in the same way that the % formatting would use,
     but takes the current locale into account.
     Grouping is applied if the third parameter is true.

py> locale.format('%.2f', 1234567.1234, True)
'1.234.567,12'

--
Gabriel Genellina