Dedicated CPU core for Python?

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Thu Apr 26 14:54:38 EDT 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 09:16, Louise Hoffman wrote:

> Dear readers,
>
> I was wondering, if Python in the foerseeable future will allocate one
> CPU core just for the interpreter, so heavy Python operations does
> slow down the OS?
>
> It seams to me like a perfect use for a CPU core =)

Are you talking about CPU affinity
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processor_affinity) or an actual CPU that can
directory execute Python byte code?  If the former, CPython only uses one
CPU core right now because it's threads are all internal, and do not spawn
system threads (IIRC).  If the latter, I don't think that would work very
well because then, e.g., C extensions wouldn't work very well as they could
not be executed by a Python Byte-code CPU.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE