Python Feature Request: Explicit variable declarations

Ganesan Rajagopal rganesan at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 15 00:57:50 EDT 2007

> samjnaa at gmail.com schrieb:
>> Hello. Please tell me whether this feature request is sane (and not
>> done before) for python so it can be posted to the python-dev mailing
>> list. I should say first that I am not a professional programmer with
>> too much technical knowledge.

> I believe it has been requested before, but I'm too lazy now to search
> for prior discussion.

I remember the benevolent dictator's blogs on this. Googling for "optional
static typing" brought up these references:

and an older one:

http://www.python.org/~guido/static-typing/

> The request is sane, but is also incomplete: there
> is no syntax suggested for the actual declarations of local variables,
> and no discussion whether this is meant to apply to local variables
> only, or also to global variables and object attributes.

None of the above links talk about variable declarations but object
attributes are considered.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan Rajagopal