strip newline from string

James oscartheduck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 20:07:18 EDT 2007

I have a program that reads as follows:

#!/usr/bin/env python
import string
import os

def ssher():
#ssher takes a port input (if none entered, it defaults to 2024) and

def connector():
#connector checks to see if the autoconfigure file exists. If so, it uses that
#for information for where the public ssh machine exists, if not then it tries
#something sensible.
  global ipAddress, username

  if os.path.isfile("autoconf.txt"):
    autoconfigurer = open ( 'autoconf.txt' )
    ipAddress = autoconfigurer.readline()
    username = autoconfigurer.readline()
    autoconfigurer.close()
    string.strip(ipAddress)
    string.strip(username)
    print "IPAddress is %s and username is %s" % (ipAddress, username)
    print "using if"

  else:
    from getpass import getuser
    ipAddress = raw_input("We're 'pitching' this connection to another
machine. What's its IP address? Remember, this is probably a public
address.")
    username = getuser()
    string.strip(username)
    print "username is %s" % username

  print "Attempting to set up the tunnel from %s as %s" % (ipAddress, username)

  cmd2 = 'ssh -nNT -R 2024:localhost:2024 %s@%s' % (username, ipAddress)
  os.system(cmd2)

connector()

The autoconf.txt contains two lines, which first has an ip address and
second a username. The problem I'm having is that the string.strip()
doesn't appear to be stripping the newline off the username.

Any ideas? If you need more information, just ask!

James