No subject

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 6 15:05:51 EDT 2007

C.L. wrote:
> James Stroud <jstroud <at> mbi.ucla.edu> writes:
>> C.L. wrote:
>>> I was looking for a function or method that would return the index to the
>>> first matching element in a list. ...
>>> ... __please don't be overly defensive__ ...
>> The amount of typing wasted to defend design decisions such as this can
>> boggle one's mind. Just use lists unless you have on overwhelming reason
>> to do otherwise.
>>
>> James
>

> Read the quote. I *am* using a list.
>
> That doesn't change the fact that this is unfriendly design. It's an ugly
> inconsistent chunk of a Python's past in which built-in types didn't behave like
> objects. It sticks out like a sore thumb, maybe just not very often.
>
> Oh, and thanks for the insulting tone of your anticipated response. Have you
> anything better to do with your time than wasting bytes writing empty responses
> to what you already deem a waste of typing?
>
> *sighs* just what I expected: another idle troll defending something just for
> the sake of defending it. On the other hand, thanks 7stud, for the truly helpful
> response.

I think you misinterpreted my post, I agree with you. Please read it
again. You have touched on a very old topic. Many people have fought
tooth and nail to defend arbitrary design decisions such as a tuple not
having an index. It boils down to the fact that tuples are useless as a
result unless you know you really need them--and you never really NEED them.

James