About Trolltech QT OpenSource license.

king kikapu aboudouvas at panafonet.gr
Tue Apr 10 15:29:36 EDT 2007

Hi to all,

i am coming from the Microsoft (.net) world and at the quest of
finding the right GUI toolkit that i can use from Python, i have two
obvious choices to choose from: wxPython and Qt.

Both are looking very good. Qt has Qt designer, a tool that really
reminds me of the forms designers that we have in VS.Net.The
productivity someone can gain from tools like these can be really
astonished.
I saw at the forum here that a lot of debate is coming from the
"strange" interpretation of it's Open Source Edition lisence.
After a lot of reading i was under the impression (and many others
with me) that even a stand alone developer working in-house at company
cannot use Qt OS Edition and must buy the commercial lisence.

I sent an emai to them today and i think their response is
interesting, so i appose it here;

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Qt Open Source Edition.

The open source edition may be used for either your own private use or
for an application used only internally by your company if the
application is developed by you on company time.  With internal
company use under the GPL it is absolutely imperative that the
application not be distributed outside of the legal entity.  If this
happens then the GPL source distribution requirements (as well as all
other GPL
requirements) will take effect.  The internal use by the company falls
under the "private modification" exception to the GPL.

Please note that if you begin your application development with the
GPL version, that application must be GPL licensed and Trolltech does
not permit developers to start with the Qt Open Source Edition and
later convert to a commercial license.

Good luck with your development and please contact sales at trolltech.com
if your company wishes to purchase a commercial Qt license at some
point in the future.