working of round()

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 20:27:00 EDT 2007

http://docs.python.org/tut/node16.html

> Also, for round(x,n), can't 'x' be an expression
>
> round(5.25/2, 2)
>
> was expecting 2.62  , but

> 2.6299999999999999

round(x, n) essentially does the following:

  math.floor(x * 10**n + 0.5) / 10**n

Since (5.25/2)*100 == 262.5, adding 0.5 gives 263.0 and ultimately 2.63 as the
rounded number. round() does not do anything more complicated like round-to-even.

Use the decimal module if you want decimal arithmetic rather than binary
floating point.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."