Returning a date as string

Björn Keil abgrund at silberdrache.net
Sun Apr 22 00:55:25 EDT 2007

On 22 Apr., 02:26, John Machin <sjmac... at lexicon.net> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 6:59 am, Björn Keil <abgr... at silberdrache.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello pythons,
>
> > I have little problem with understanding conversions in python. I've
> > written a little class - nothing much, just to try out Python a little
> > - containing the following method:
>
> >     def __repr__(self):
> >         """Serializes the note.
>
> >         Currently the format of notes isn't decided upon. XML output
> > is
> >         projected."""
>
> Insert here:
>
> print "Due: %r" % self.dateDue
> print "Created: %r" % self.dateCreated
> print "Subject: %r" % self.subject
> print "Content: %r % self.content
>

> >         return "Due: " + str(self.dateDue) + \
> >                "\nDate: " + str(self.dateCreated) + \
> >                "\nSubject: " + self.subject + \
> >                "\n" + self.content
>
> > The fields "dateDue" and "dateCreated" contain datetime.date objects.
> > Now when I try to serialize the whole thing:

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> >   File "notes.py", line 81, in __repr__
> >     return "Due: " + str(self.dateDue) + \
> > TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'datetime.date' objects
>
> > I tryed different variant before I wrapped "self.dateDue" in a str()
> > constructor:
> > I tried to put it in brackets, or call its .isoformat() method.
> > Nothing works. It still complains that I was trying to concatenate a
> > string with a date, but I really wanna concatenate a string with a
> > string!
>
> > Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> Not showing us the *whole* code that you are executing.
>
> Suggestions:
> (1) Maybe dates have crept into self.subject and self.content. The
> print statements above should show exactly what you've got.
>
> (2) Maybe you didn't save it before you ran it. Maybe you forgot to
> reload(yourModule). Try making up the smallest possible script that
> demonstrates your problem. Get out of whatever IDE you may be using
> and go to the OS command-line prompt. Use type (windows) or cat (*x)
> to print your script on the console. Run your script. Copy the console
> contents and paste it into your mail/news client.
>
> HTH,
> John

Ah, yes point (2) is it. I didn't do "reload" but simply "del
mylibrary, myobject" and the import the library again.
In effect the code quoted in the error message was up to date but the
code used was still the cached bytecode. Some problems do in fact
solve themselves when you sleep a night over it, it seems.

Thank you. Good fight, good night!