socket read timeout

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 2 10:23:26 EDT 2007

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
>  "Steve Holden" <s..e at hol....eb.com>
>

>> Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:

> want
>>>>
>>> Are sockets full duplex?
>>>
>> Yes. But you have to use non-blocking calls in your application to use
>> them as full-duplex in your code.
>
> This seems to bear out the scenario I have described elsewhere in this
> thread - I think its caused by the file handlers, but I don't  _know_  it.
>
>>> I know Ethernet isn't.
>>>
>> Don't know much, then, do you? ;-)
>
> No not really - I easily get confused by such things as collisions...
>
> : - )

Right, but collisions are *so* twentieth-century, aren't they. With a
properly-implemented switched infrastructure Ethernet interfaces can
transmit and receive at the same time.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden