Python Feature Request: Allow changing base of member indices to 1

Sun Apr 15 00:14:09 EDT 2007

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:34:46 -0700, Dan Bishop wrote:

> On Apr 14, 10:55 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>         The FORTRAN family had started as 1-based (F95, and Ada, now allow
>> for each array to have its own "base" => x : array (-10..10) of float).
>> Pascal, I forget...
>
> Pascal allows arbitrary array bases.  It's where Ada got the idea.

It does? Since when?

When I was being taught Pascal at University (20 years ago...) Pascal
always started indices at 1. We used to joke you could tell musicians who
were trained as C programmers from those who were Pascal programmers
because they did sound checks "Testing, 0 1 2".

--
Steven.