Future Python Gui?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Apr 18 17:04:21 EDT 2007

>> I wouldn't mind using just Tkinter, despite it's primative look,
>> except that it doesn't support more advanced widgets like "notebook".

When Tile becomes part of the core Tk library, it should be accessible
from Tkinter as well. Tile has a nice notebook widget. See
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/screenshots/windowsxp.html,
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/screenshots/macosx.html and
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/screenshots/unix.html.

> I wouldn't mind seeing tkgrid and tkhtml added to the standard
> library.  But Tk is probably "good enough" for most simple
> interfaces.

I'm not sure what tkgrid is: isn't that the standard Tk "grid"
algorithm? If so, it's already accessible from Tkinter.

As for Tkhtml, it's undergoing *heavy* development: it's moving from a
lightweight, basic HTML renderer into a full-featured browser widget
with CSS support: see http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/ and
http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html and http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/screenshot1.gif.
  The drawbacks are that it's currently at an alpha stage, and while the
hv3 browser based on Tkhtml 3 is very impressive, it's overkill for the
simple display of HTML--and the API for constructing a simpler widget
seems to be very complex. As well, because it's still alpha, no one has
wrapped it for Tkinter as of yet.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin