Future Python Gui?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Apr 18 10:54:29 EDT 2007

bcwhite at pobox.com wrote:
> I've been trying to find out what the future of Python is with regard
> to Tk.  It seems there are several interfaces that make use of new
> functionality, including "Tile" and "Ttk".
>
> If I want to write a program that will run under the standard Python
> distribution of the future, what extension module should I work with
> today?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Brian

Tile is available right now in Tk as an extension package, and a Tkinter
wrapper for it can be found here:

http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper

Tile will be integrated into Tk's core when 8.5 is released. It's
supposed to enter beta testing Real Soon Now. However, I imagine that
Python/Tkinter will depend on Tk 8.4 for the foreseeable
future--certainly 8.5 won't be supported officially before a full,
stable release is made. Perhaps in Python 2.6?

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin