Writing Log CSV (Efficiently)

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Apr 16 10:28:16 EDT 2007

Robert Rawlins - Think Blue wrote:
> The log at its highest rate of write may be looking at an operation a
> second

I think I can probably type stuff in faster than that if
I try :) You probably don't have a performance issue there.

, I've not got much experience with this kind of thing so
I'm not sure
> if that's 'a lot' or not, it just seems like it at the moment. It might not
> get as busy as that, I'm not sure and its difficult to simulate as this
> isn't likely to be a steady flow of traffic, they'll come in big fat lumps
> every now and then.

Sounds like you don't really need to profile that, but if
you did, Python's a great language for knocking together
that kind of test harness; combine the time, random and
csv modules and you've got a "big fat lumps every now and
then" simulation. (At which point I get jumped on by the
serious model types for being so blase with their discipline!)

TJG