editing scripts on a mac

Adam Atlas adam at atlas.st
Sun Apr 29 11:28:39 EDT 2007

On Apr 27, 12:08 pm, Steve Holden <s... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Now, frankly, I don't think this answer is correct, since I know OS X is
> a UNIX derivative, but I am loathe to involve a programming noob with vi
> or something similar. So I wondered if one of the c.l.py mac users could
> give brief instructions for firing up a visual text editor of some sort
> and saving a file somewhere it can easily be accessed from a terminal
> window (which I presume starts up in his home directory).

I strongly recommend TextMate (http://www.macromates.com/). It's not
free, but it rocks.

There's also TextWrangler (http://www.barebones.com/products/
textwrangler/), a free (as in beer) lite version of BBEdit, the most
venerable Mac text editor. I used to use BBEdit; it's quite excellent,
though TextMate feels a bit more modern and OS X-like.