Debugging multithreaded program using Eclipse/Pydev

Ritesh Raj Sarraf rrs at researchut.com
Sat Apr 7 06:09:53 EDT 2007

John Henry wrote:

>>From what I can gather, it appears the only real option I have is to
> debug under Eclipse/Pydev.  I did a google search of this newsgroup
> and didn't turn up too many hits.  Before I invest the time to learn
> Eclipse/Pydev, I like to hear from somebody that have gone this path.
> Have you been successful in using Eclipse/Pydev to debug multi-
> threaded Python applications?  Is so, what was the learning curve like
> to you?

I use pydev extensively for all my Python related work. And I really love
it.

The good part about Eclipse/PyDev is that (if you are an Eclipse user)
you'll have to learn only a single IDE for all your programming works in
most of the languages. The interface, the shortcut keys to step, all are
the same across all languages that you use in Eclipse.

As for PyDev, it works very good with Eclipse.
Be it code-completion or thread debugging, all is supported. For
multithreaded applications, in PyDev, you'll see all the threads listed.
Then you can use each thread and proceed with debugging the code.

Learning Eclipse might take some time but that's worth it.

HTH,
Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf